JOB OPENING – SEASONAL
VECTOR CONTROL TECHNICIAN
Duration: MAY – SEPTEMBER
Do you enjoy the outdoors? Are you interested in helping your community? If so, the Jackson County Vector Control District may have the position for you. We are seeking self-motivated individuals who don’t mind public contact for several temporary seasonal mosquito control positions. You will be working outside, with limited supervision, protecting the community from the annoyance of mosquitoes and diseases such as West Nile virus. For those studying Agriculture, Biology, or other applied sciences this position is an excellent resume builder and offers you an opportunity to gain field experience in sampling techniques and data collection. Positions start at $12.25 per hour, pay is increased to $15.00 upon successful completion of the Oregon Public Pesticide Applicators and Pesticide Laws and Safety exams.
Duties will include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Survey assigned zone for mosquito larval sources such as irrigated pastures, ditches, marshy areas, sumps, water troughs, etc.
- Identify stage of larval development & treat the area as needed.
- Operate truck, ATV, and hand spray equipment.
- Keep records of pesticide applications.
- Set out and collect CO2 baited Live mosquito traps.
- Using a mosquito key, identify and prepare mosquito samples for arbovirus testing.
- Pick up and prepare dead birds for West Nile virus testing.
- Keep equipment and vehicles clean and ready for use.
- Respond to citizen service requests.
Background in Biology preferred but not necessary
Must have a valid driver’s license and feel comfortable driving standard transmission
Must pass the ODA Public Pesticide Applicator exam within 30 days of hire
Must be able to traverse uneven ground
Must be able to work outside for extended periods during periods of hot weather
Must be able to routinely pick up objects up to 30 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds
Must be able to pass background check and drug test
If you are interested in applying, please apply in person to:
Jackson County Vector Control District Office
555 Mosquito Lane
Central Point, OR 97502